Our Church History
The First Presbyterian Church of Cleveland was chartered on Nov. 30, 1997, by the Northeast Georgia Presbytery and was officially recognized in a special service held at White County High School.
That service was the culmination of nearly two years of planning and preparation. In March 1996, 38 Cleveland residents met at a local restaurant to determine the level of interest in forming a Presbyterian church. A steering committee was formed in November 1996. The first formal worship service of First Presbyterian as a church was held at St. Paul the Apostle Catholic Church on April 6, 1997, with more than 70 people attending.
In February 1998, the church purchased property on North Main Street that included the Mauney House. The house was built in 1894 as a single family residence and later was converted into a restaurant. The restaurant closed in 1992 and the building was vacant for several years until it was purchased by First Presbyterian.
Services were held in the former restaurant dining room until a sanctuary addition was built in 2007. The sanctuary seats about 250 people and features a large stained-glass window created and installed by the White Stained Glass Studio of Sarasota, Fla.